Where to begin! This post will be
quite long because I am trying to catch up on the weekend posts because for the
past three days I have been in Sukkothai. Now that may not mean much to anyone
of you guys at home but here it is a big thing. Sukkothai is the first kingdom
of Thailand, so it is a very important area here. We left at 9 am Saturday and
came back a little before 3pm on Monday (we got the day off because of this).
So first thing is first, the bus ride was five hours. You may think that it would
stink to be on a bus winding through the mountains, but it was actually the
highlight! I loved riding in the a/c and getting to see all the different
views. We stopped at a few places along the way, which made the time go by so
much faster. Our bus driver was so nice; only spoke two words of English; hello
and thank you. Once we arrived in Sukkothai we headed to the information
center, then museum (couldn’t take pictures inside, sorry). But it was
incredible; they had all these exhibits and artifacts from digs all over the
place.
After that and then traveling
around the outside of the historical park, in blistering heat, we got to check
into the guest house and change out of our sweaty uniforms! When I say blistering,
I mean like as hot as Dante’s seventh circle of hell in which it feels like a
desert with raining fire. I thought
Chiang Mai was hot; coming from 105 degree in Sukkothai to this 95 degree
weather was almost refreshing (ALMOST).
Orchid Hibiscus Guest House
The bummer of the trip was that I
had some nasty stomach pains and just never felt like eating. However little I
did eat it was comparably better in Chiang Mai. Oh and on Sunday night when the
others were around drinking and hanging out me and one other girl opened the
gate of the resort to step outside and see the lights. What we didn’t see at
first was the two dogs charging us from down the street. But when I noticed
them I informed the other girl that we should probably get our butts inside
before they got to us. So we jumped back into the resort and closed the gate.
But I guess I was a little too eager and landed on the concrete in the wrong
way. Meaning I scraped a chunk of skin off my toe. What is ironic about this is
that it was the same toe that I hit the week before and tore off half my
toenail. Yea my left foot is not meshing well with Thailand. I also just
remembered that I am taking a dance class in which we are on our feet all the
time! Oh why couldn’t it have been an unimportant appendage!?
The second day, Sunday, we went in
the historical park and rode around in the trams visiting temple ruins. We also
climbed up to a Buddha statue in the 105 degree weather in skirts! My breathing
was really bad and it felt like the air was getting thin and hard to breathe as
we went. But of course I was thrilled to be there and was the first one to
start climbing; haha the line leader in me; just like at the tiger kingdom I
was the first one to dive in! So after that we saw some more ruins and then
eventually made our way back to the resort to change and relax.
We headed to dinner at a Thai place
and I thought I would try the macaroni and chicken. But whatever you think is
American here tastes completely different. The macaroni and cheese I ordered
turned out to be more like a macaroni goulash with sausage. Pretty usual to
have your order completely warped here. But after dinner I was still not
feeling well so I went back to our room to lie down in the a/c. At this resort
there was no wifi, so we were without it for 3 days. People were itching for
internet. I just wanted to have a TV in the room to watch movies, but I proved
to myself that I can survive with TV or internet!
This whole trip has been a full of
firsts for me. I have even surprised myself at times at just how willing I am
to try new things. Most of the notions I had thought about Thailand were
totally off. Every day there are new surprises.
Now we have returned to Chiang Mai
and I’m sitting in my apartment writing and relaxing. I didn’t realize it but I
actually was excited to come back to Chiang Mai. Only one more week of the Thai
Dance, we are still learning one new dance in two days before the final
performance and then we have a week off!
More to come as the adventure continues!



Looks like my kind of an adventure (albeit a tad too hot for me!)
ReplyDeleteThe ruins remind me of Mexico's Mayan ruins!
Take care of those toes, and dance away.